ANZAC Day 2017

Each year on April 25th we commemorate ANZAC Day. This year is the 102nd anniversary of the ANZAC landings at Gallipoli.

What does ANZAC Day mean to you and your family? What will you and your family do this year to commemorate ANZAC Day? Will you attend the dawn service at the Shrine of Remembrance or take part in a local march? What have you learnt about ANZAC Day and its importance in Australia? Write your response as a comment.

15 Comments on ANZAC Day 2017

1. Hayden
    April 24, 2017 at 6:36 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith
    On ANZAC day my family and I remember my great grandfather on my Step mums side. He fought in WW2. On ANZAC day for the last 3 years my family go to Brad and Jills house ( my dad’s friends) and we watch the footy on the television. We won’t go to a march but we will watch the footy game. ANZAC day is special to Australia because it was the first time we fought as a nation. I have learnt that the battle of Gallipoli wasn’t the only battle of WW1.

What do you do on ANZAC day Mr Smith?

By Hayden

2. Taylor
    April 24, 2017 at 7:43 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    My traditions on ANZAC day are that we watch the ANZAC Football match. We also watch any ANZAC shows that are on.
    What are your ANZAC traditions?
    From Taylor

3. Jamie
    April 24, 2017 at 8:04 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    My Mum and Dad will be working so I will go to my Grandma’s house for the day. We might go into a march. I will watch the footy at my Grandma’s house. I have learnt its importance by getting told they have just risked their lives to save our country and us.
    What will you do this ANZAC day?
    From Jamie

4. Orson
    April 24, 2017 at 9:29 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,

On ANZAC DAY we comemerate the soldiers who fought in war, especially we think of my great grandfather.

From Orson

5. Keeley
    April 25, 2017 at 12:52 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    On ANZAC Day my family watches the football match together and we have a minutes silence after our lunch.
    From Keeley

6. Charlotte
    April 25, 2017 at 4:02 am (7 months ago)

To Mr Smith
    On Anzac Day I watch the footy. Sometimes we got to a local march and we usually watch the Gallipoli march on the TV.
    What do you do on Anzac Day?
    From Charlotte

7. Ellie
    April 26, 2017 at 7:01 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    On ANZAC Day I put on my bag and then I head down to the 10:00 march. After the march has finished I wait until the football is on. When it is ANZAC Day Collingwood and Essendon play. Once it is on I cheer on Collingwood as I am the only person in my family who goes for Collinwood. Sometimes we make ANZAC biscuits.
    Do you watch the football on ANZAC Day? If you do what team do you cheer for?
    From Ellie.

8. Georgie
    April 26, 2017 at 9:37 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    In the past my family and I used to go to the ANZAC marches but this year because of the rain I got up had breakfast and made a batch of ANZAC biscuits with my mum. Then later in the day we all sat and watched the football game and during the National Anthem we stood up and sang. During the game I made a cup of hot chocolate and enjoyed the ANZAC biscuits.
    From Georgie

9. Maeve
    April 26, 2017 at 10:19 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    Most of the time my family and I go to the march, I march with my cub group but this year we didn’t go due to weather. Instead we stayed home and made ANZAC biscuits and watched Essendon beat Collingwood In the football game.

From Maeve

10. Mia
    April 27, 2017 at 7:13 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    This year on Anzac Day I made a batch of Anzac biscuits with my sister. Later on I watched the football with my family.

What do you do on Anzac Day?

From Mia

11. Liam F
    April 27, 2017 at 9:59 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    I watched some of the ANZAC day march and some of the Collingwood V Essendon match.
    From Liam

12. Daniel
    April 27, 2017 at 10:00 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,

This year I made a batch of ANZAC biscuits with my mum. I also had a minute of silence to remember the people how fought and died in World war 1 and 2 (my grandpa as well how fought). We also watched the footy with my family.

What do you do on ANZAC day?

From Daniel

13. Eileen Vaughan
    April 27, 2017 at 11:00 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    On ANZAC Day my dad and I went to the local Diamond Creek ANZAC Day march. My dad marched with the CFA in the ANZAC Day march. After the march a lady was giving out free ANZAC Day biscuits. I have learnt that 5 people from Diamond Creek fought and died in WWI. Some of them where in an orphanage!

What did you learn and do on ANZAC Day?

From Eileen

14. Tahleah
    April 27, 2017 at 8:23 pm (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,
    On ANZAC day we usually meet up with our family, watch the Anzac game of AFL and we do a one minute of silence. This year we met with our cousins and watched Essendon beat Collingwood.

From Tahleah

15. Red
    April 29, 2017 at 5:24 am (7 months ago)

Dear Mr Smith,

On Anzac Day I go the parade in Watsonia and the RSL and listen to all the speachers
    And have lunch. But we only do that some times.
    What do you do on Anzac Day?
    From Red