Literature Circles – Book Review

To conclude our Literature Circles sessions for the term you are going to to write a review of your book. You need to include; your book’s title, author, a summary of the story (don’t give away the ending!), and a rating out of five. Your summary should include – where the story is set, who are some of the main characters and what is the complication in the story.

You need to draft and proof read and edit your review before you publish it as a comment on this post. You should read through your summaries in your workbook to help you write your review!

8 Comments on Literature Circles – Book Review

1. Lauren
    December 13, 2018 at 1:21 am (1 year ago)

The shop at Hoopers Bend

This is a story about a girl, Quil Medway, who lives with her aunt Pam because her parents died in a car crash. She is meant to go to summer camp, but instead gets off the train at Hoopers Bend. This is not what she expected her summer to be like at all.

She did not imagine she would meet an old lady, Prudence Bail know as Baliy, a small black and white dog Pirate or any of the other people who live on Hoopers Bend. Her holiday was full of fun and excitement as well as scary events.

Quil goes on many adventures while trying to hide her secret from Bailey and her aunt Pam. She struggles and Bailey sees right through her lies but she waits until Quil wants to tell her the truth

I really liked this book even though I thought it would end differently. There were lots of unexpected twists that made it quite interesting. I think that it was a good story and it was worth reading

I give it 4.5 stars because it is a really good book but it is a bit repetitive. Each chapter is mostly about one thing and has a lot of details about everything. It is a good book overall.

I recommend you read this book because I really liked it and I think you will too. It is a good book that you can’t put down. It’s a good book in general and you should definitely read it.

By Lauren

2. Bridget
    December 13, 2018 at 1:28 am (1 year ago)

Part 2
    At school Josh was hoping to be in the cricket team but it was impossible to be in the team. Why? Because he accidentally hit the teacher in the face with a dodgeball, lost grip while skipping and hit a girl with the rope and hur his leg but the teacher thought that it was fake. When josh realised that he wont be in the cricket team because the teacher hated him, he decided to work at the canteen. The little kids ew he was a big kid so they would say “Riley said the F word” but the word was actually just stupid.

The second half of the book had way more drama and it was really hard to stop reading. Josh and his brother Callen were building a treehouse when they saw a little kid. He looked like he had never seen sunlight before because he was so pale. There were two policeman with him who protected him. His nickname was Woody but they never found out his real name. They played cricket for a while. The policeman weren’t to bad at cricket but Woody was bad. After all those times they played with each other Woody was always better friends with Callen then Josh. One night they heard gunshots coming from Woody’s house. His dad ran next door to go get Woody. They rang the ambulance and they said Woody will be ok but he has to stay th night in the Hospital.

This Book was predictable but interesting. I give it 3 cookies

3. Cameron
    December 13, 2018 at 4:04 am (1 year ago)

The Shop at Hoopers Bend Book Review
    Rating: ⭐️⭐️1/2 Two and a half stars
    This book was not very interesting and was a bit long. The book also had some good chapters but not many. Overall the book wasn’t that interesting.

At the start of the book there is a girl called Joquil(Quil for short) who is going to camp. At the station before she boards the train she goes to a shop and finds a mug that has her unusual name on it. On the bottom of the mug is Hoopers Bend Gallery and Quil wonders why someone would have her name on a mug. Quil had been on the train for a while before she saw the sign that said Hoopers Bend. Quil gets off the train and while she was wandering around Hoopers Bend she saw a dog and saved it from the on coming truck. She calls the dog Pirate and sits on the steps of the Hoopers Bend shop just as the rightful owner drives in. The lady’s name was Bailey and Quil greeted her even though she didn’t know her. Quil helps Bailey out of her car because Bailey is stiff from driving and they go inside. Quil then makes up a lie of why she was here. Bailey believed her and let Quil stay at the shop. Quil and Bailey rent the shop out to people like Xero Folly, Mrs Dove and Cynthia Brittle-Pike. They all had items to sell and needed money to do something. The selling and buying agent Roy Plunkett kept trying to make Bailey sell the shop by giving her good offers. Bailey didn’t sell though because she thought the place was special. Then Bailey tells Quil that she is going to a meeting and that Quil can’t come. Quil lies again that she has to come to the meeting and then it starts to get interesting.Will Events happen that will leave people’s lives in danger? I won’t reveal the ending but there is a major event that changes the whole story.

4. Alisha
    December 13, 2018 at 4:21 am (1 year ago)

Chess Nuts Julia Lawrinson

This story is about two children called Anna and Jackson. Jackson was one of those very sporty kids, however Anna was completely different as she HATED sport. They almost switched lives in the end as Anna started to enjoy sports in the end and Jackson started chess.

Both Anna and Jackson doing chess and really started to enjoy the game. The story was mostly set in their school and involved chess playing. They changed the book so they both ended up playing chess in the end and maybe some characters started to enjoy sports in the end.

Overall I would probably give this book a four and a half stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2 I liked the way each character went back and forward alternating between the characters. I didn’t like how they would focus a lot on Anna than not much on Jackson or the other way around.

I enjoyed the way the author wrote the book rotating from Anna to Jackson I enjoyed reading the book the whole way through, so when my teacher said to pack up I really didn’t want to pack up.

If I ever saw this book in the library I would suggest the book to ANYONE. I would definitely read this book again as I extremely enjoyed the book. I would suggest it to children from when they can read until they are probably 100 million years old.

My favourite character in the whole story was probably Chelsea as I would say she is most like me. My least favourite character would probably be a Flash Buckley, as he is really mean to everyone in his year level.

I have read this book once and am now going to read it many times. I have suggested the book Chess Nuts by Julia Lawrinson to my family.

Hope you enjoyed my book review on Chess Nuts by Julia Lawrinson.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2

5. Nath
    December 13, 2018 at 11:10 pm (1 year ago)

Camel Rider Book Review

Adam is a citizen of Abudai and Walid is a boy taken away at a young age to ride camels, but with the war in Abudai they are a team. They are bombed and Adam evacuates with the Hartlisses but must leave his dog Tara behind. He is very upset. Then when they stop he abandons them at a petrol station. After he walks and goes to the mountains there he finds Walid, the camel rider. He is tied up in rope.

Adam unties him and we find a goat together. I name it marge. It runs away and later Walid kills it with the pocket knife I gave him. It is a good meal. But we realise that when we chased marge I left my bag in the valley behind us. The pair of us run down and see our bag in the back of a truck it turns out it is a camel rider they come close to killing us but it comes down to their praying tradition and we steal their car.

We drive off and crash. After a while we find an oasis an hide in a shed there we get caught after a bit of camel stupidity and then…

A book of adventure that will keep you on your toes.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Nath

6. Yanna
    December 13, 2018 at 11:35 pm (1 year ago)

The Year My Life Broke- John Marsden

Josh Moved to Tarrawagga because he had lost all his money. At his old school he was the best at cricket and everyone looked up to him. At Tarrawagga it was the opposite though. The PE teacher, Mr Surrey, hated Josh so much because of a few accidents. He pretended to be bad at sport because he was already a loser to everyone anyway. Josh played a cricket match out of school against a boy in his year level. He was so shocked to see that Josh was actually good at cricket. When the other kids at school found out they were even more shocked

Overall, The Year My Life Broke is a goodish book. I probably wouldn’t borrow it from the library if I saw it because it has a cricket ball on the front cover and cricket just isn’t my thing. The part I liked about the book was the humour, but the part I didn’t like was the cricket. The thing is I don’t understand cricket so it doesn’t really make sense to me.

This book deserves 3 Stars
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️

7. Alex
    December 14, 2018 at 1:04 am (1 year ago)

The Year My Life Broke
    By John Marsden

This book is about a boy and his family who lost pretty much all of their money and to move houses. The boy (Josh) was really sporty and good at cricket but at this school in Tarrawagga he couldn’t be bothered trying.

The complication is that everyone thinks that he’s really bad at sport so they call him “Meathead” or “PE Loser” and things like that. Josh mostly ignored everyone though. He started helping out at the canteen and playing with little kids in prep or grade 1!

Josh got sick of being a sports loser and joined a cricket team for the under 14’s team called the “Cypresses”. One day when Josh was batting and the bowler came out. It was Red. He was a sports star at his school, Josh was stuffed. He would get in so much trouble at school. Josh was going to play badly, but that would let the team down. So he had to play properly!

Josh made it up to everyone at the school and he joined the school team! Josh helped the team get their first win on the new cricket ground!

I rate this book a 3.8 out of 5 because it was exciting at some bits but at other times it’s just a bit boring. For example just talking about a cricket game, for like one or two chapters! My favourite part was when Josh stayed on to play when he was injured.

8. Alen
    December 14, 2018 at 4:00 am (1 year ago)

Camel Rider
    By Prue Mason

The story is about a foreign boy who is stuck in a war in the Middle East. War occurred because the Natives think the city was became too corrupt of western influences. Adam escapes with everyone but Tara (his dog) is left behind.

Adam escapes from his friends to save Tara and takes a long journey home. Instead he gets lost in the desert. Fortunately he finds Walid who was left in the desert as a punishment . They become close friends and the fight the harshlife in the desert.

They faced hardships like water shortage, no food and other things. They find a goat which gave them milk and found them a pond. Unfortunately they had to kill her and cook her so they could survive.

They also drove cars and rode stolen camels. Walid was a camel jockey sold by his parents because they couldn’t keep him. Walid forgot that camels return home for food and water and this made Adam and Walid to be captured by the camels owners.

I rate this , 4 and a half chickens out of five. This is because it is interesting because it shiws how people from different nationalities communicated and it showed how they survived the desert. It was confusing at the start as it changed from characters but I got used to it. I recommend this book to everyone.