Click on the link below to watch the story “Digital Footprint”. Then answer the questions in your workbook.
1. Give an example of how a person’s movements are tracked.
2. Why has online privacy been an issue in recent years?
3. What happened to the Sony Playstation network?
4. What did it mean for Sony’s online users?
5. What sorts of information are people sharing online?
6. How can online activity be monitored?
7. How can information footprints be useful?
8. Give examples of how people can make smart choices online. (Then choose one that you have written and add as a comment to this post)
9. What do you understand more clearly since watching the story?
Click on the link below to watch the BTN story ‘Old News’. After you have watched it please complete the questions below into your workbook.
1. What part have newspapers played in history?
2. Why is running a newspaper expensive?
3. How do newspapers make money?
4. What are some benefits of newspapers over radio or TV news bulletins?
5. How has the internet changed the way we get news?
6. What has Fairfax Media announced recently?
7. Why are some people concerned about how journalism will be affected?
8. What do you think the future of newspapers is? Explain your answer.
9. Do you think people will want to pay for online news? Why of why not?
10. What do you understand more clearly since watching the BtN story?
Visit the Behind the News website to view the ‘Online Olympians’ report in your Reading Rotation this week. http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3527739.htm
The following discussion questions can be completed in your workbooks. Please remember to answer using complete sentences, with the question reworded into the opening sentence of your answer.
- What was the main point of the BtN story?
- Give an example of a social media site.
- How will social media be used during the Olympics?
- What are the benefits of social media during an event like the Olympics?
- Why did swimmers Nick D’Arcy and Kenrick Monk get in trouble recently?
- What was the consequence for their actions?
- What is it important to remember when posting on social networking sites?
- How does social networking benefit athletes?
- Do you think the swimmers should have been punished for posting the photo on Facebook? Explain your answer.
- How has your thinking changed since watching the BtN story?