BTN (Behind The News)
Click on the link below and watch the video on the role of the Governor General then answer the questions into your workbook. Remember to write the question and the answer or the question in the answer.
1. When did Quentin Bryce become Governor General?
2. Who is our new Governor General? What was his previous occupation?
3. Who does the Governor General represent?
4. Name three official responsibilities of the Governor General? What are some of the other roles that the Governor General does?
5. When was the only time that a Governor General has exercised the power to replace a Prime Minister? Who was the Governor General?
6. What are some of the perks of the Governor General’s role?
Would you like to be a future Australian Governor General? Why/Why Not?
Research Questions: How many Governors General has Australia had? Who was the first? Who were the Governors General in your lifetime? Don’t forget to include the years they were Governor General.
In Integrated we have been talking about the leaders that make decisions for the people that they represent.
Have you ever thought about how new laws are made in Australia?
Watch the Behind the News Story to find out more!
Once you have watched the story you need to complete the questions listed below.
1. Complete the following sentence: `If a bill is passed in parliament, it becomes…’
2. Describe what happens when a bill is introduced in the House of Representatives.
3. If the bill is passed in the House of Reps, where does it go next?
4. Which political party has greater representation in the Senate than the House of
5. What part does the Governor-General play?
6. Draw a diagram that shows the journey of a bill through parliament.
7. Name three facts learnt in the BtN story.
8. The government is trying to push a huge number of bills through parliament right
now. Name two bills.
9. What do you understand more clearly since watching the story?
Your chance to comment: What is a new law you would like to see in Australia and why?
As part of our literacy tasks this week you need to read and respond to these two activities onto your iPad.
3 Levels of Government Task 1
3 Levels Final Activity