Click on the link below and watch the BtN story. Then you need to complete the focus questions in your language book. Remember to either write the question AND the answer or the question IN the answer.
Click on the links below to view news stories about the Hawaiian Volcano.
Using your silent reading book you’re going to create a list of at least twenty adjectives. You will need to write the adjectives into your language book. Once you’ve selected your adjectives you will need to categorise them into number, colour, size, shape or texture/appearance. Remember to CHALLENGE yourself to find some interesting adjectives. EG: Instead of big – try enormous!
Click on the link below and watch the BTN story ‘Wild Weather’ then answer the questions below.
1. Summarise the Wild Weather story. (One paragraph)
2. What Australian states have recently been hit with extreme weather?
3. What types of extreme weather did these parts of Australia experience?
4. What is the name of the ex-tropical cyclone that recently hit the coast of Queensland?
5. Due to flooding thousands of people in Bundaberg recently had to ___________ their homes.
6. In the BtN story, Sarah wanted to find out why we are getting all this wild weather so she visited the Bureau of:
a. Meteorology b. Archaeology c. Astronomy
7. Why would you normally see more cyclones in summer?
8. What factors can increase the severity of a bushfire?
9. How did this story make you feel?
Click on the link above to view the BtN story ‘Parliament House’. Once you’ve watched the story you need to answer the comprehension questions in your Language book.
- Don’t forget to proof read and edit your writing.
1. Where in Australia is Parliament House?
2. The House of Representatives is also known as the ________ house.
3. Apart from federal members who else can sit in the House of Representatives?
4. Describe the purpose of Question Time.
5. What does it mean when the speaker says ‘order’?
6. How many senators are there in the Senate?
7. What happens in the Prime Minister’s sitting room?
8. How much does the flag on top of Parliament House weigh?
9. Describe what the Parliament House building is designed to look like.
10. Can you name two past Australian Prime Ministers?
You have new neighbours living next door and they are completely new to the area. They have asked you for assistance and it is your job to come up with all the essential information they need for your area. Your new neighbours the Bryce family are a family of 6, Mum Sally (who is pregnant with a baby due soon) and Dad Larry, 13 year old Frank, 8 year old Mya, 4 year old Gus and Grandma Zinia.
Your local council is responsible for many of the services that the Bryce family will need. These services may include rubbish collection, kindergartens, senior-citizen services etc. Using the website of your local council, collect all the information you can for the Bryce family.
As part of our focus this week on the three levels of Government you need to read and respond to these two activities into your language book.
TASK 1: Read the information on the activity linked below. After reading the information you need to answer the class discussion questions on the final page.
3 Levels of Government Task 1
TASK 2: Read each of the Government responsibilities and choose which level of Government is responsible for each.
3 Levels Final Activity
To conclude our Literature Circles sessions for the term you are going to to write a review of your book. You need to include; your book’s title, author, a summary of the story (don’t give away the ending!), and a rating out of five. Your summary should include – where the story is set, who are some of the main characters and what is the complication in the story.
You need to draft and proof read and edit your review in your Literature Circles book. When you have completed your drafting and editing you need to show the teacher before you publish it using the Pages app on your iPad. You should read through your summaries in your workbook to help you write your review!
Read the Information Report ‘Venus’ and answer the comprehension questions onto the Pages app on your iPad. As you are using your iPad for your answers you need to accurately re-write the each question and then answer it in full sentences.
Venus Information Report