Locate a map of the world. Import the map into the ‘Explain Everything’ app on your ipad. Using the app now show where in the world the most natural disasters take place. You will need to do some research before you begin. Remember that you must reference where you got your world map and also where you got your information!
Click on the above link to view the BtN story then answer the following questions in your English book. Remember to write either the question AND the answer or the question IN the answer.
Click on the link above and view the BtN story on the recent earthquake in Nepal. Then you need to answer the following questions in your English books.
1. Before you watch this story record in your books what you already know about Earthquakes?
2. What magnitude was the earthquake in Nepal?
3. Describe the devastation the earthquake caused.
4. What is the top layer of the Earth called?
5. What are tectonic plates?
6. Where do most earthquakes occur?
7. How quickly do tectonic plates move?
8. Why are big earthquakes unlikely to occur in Australia?
9. What do the people of Nepal need help with?
10. How did this story make you feel?
11. Research Question: Where have we had an earthquake in Australia? When did this occur? What was the magnitude?
Please view the below linked story and then answer the questions in your English book.
1. Write a short (1-2 paragraph) summary of the Ocean Rubbish story.
2. How many pieces of plastic end up in the world’s oceans every day?
3. How does plastic get into the ocean?
4. What can happen when plastics stay in the water for a long time?
5. What are microplastics?
6. Why are they harmful?
7. What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
8. Explain Boyan Slat’s idea to clean up the garbage patch.
9. What can be done to prevent plastics from reaching the ocean?
10. How did this BtN story make you feel?
Dear all grade fives,
Bayley, Tunan and Alice are running a rubbish reducing event. We are running it on the 5th of September, Thursday. Participate in this event to help your grade win. The winning grade will receive a certificate with Mrs Batchelor’s and Mr Reeve’s signature on it.
In order to compete in this event, you must bring the least amount of rubbish as possible. Your teachers will be recording the amount of non-wrappers you bring. Good luck!
From Alice, Bayley and Tunan.
Today the grade 5 students at Apollo kick started their very first Challenge Based Learning task!
This morning we all got together and watched the pitch video. This sparked a lot of discussion about how humans have affected the environment!
Our Big Idea
Our essential question
How have humans affected the Australian environment?
Improve your impact on the environment
The Pitch Video
CBL Pitch – Global Balance from Amy Anderson on Vimeo.
How have you found CBL so far?
How is it different to the other integrated units we have done so far?
Please view this BTN story about Cyclone Yasi and then summarise the story using the pages app on your iPad. Once you’ve completed your summary you can then view the Cyclone Yasi: ABC News link on the side of the BTN story.
View and respond to this BTN story. The discussion questions are listed below. Please enter your responses as a comment to this post. Remember to proof-read and edit your work before you post your comment!
1. Describe the devastation the earthquake caused.
2. Why do a large number of earthquakes happen on the `Ring of Fire’?
3. How are earthquakes measured?
4. What magnitude was the recent earthquake in Christchurch?
5. Why was the recent earthquake more destructive that the September
6. Seismologists can predict when earthquakes will occur. True or false? How/How not?
7. What will need to be rebuilt after this earthquake?
8. What are the short and long term needs of the survivors after an earthquake?
9. What do you understand more clearly since watching the BtN story?
1. Who took on the role of BtN reporter for the Philippines Flood story?
2. What happened in the Philippines recently? **this video was made in August, 2012
3. What percentage of Manila was affected?
4. In your own words, describe the damage caused.
5. What did people in Manila do to stay safe during the floods?
6. Where did tens-of-thousands of people end up during the floods?
7. Describe the weather conditions in the Philippines.
8. Think of three questions you would like to ask Pablo about the floods or living in the Philippines.
If you have time, check out the Rookie videos made by children on the BTN website.
If you could make your own BTN news report, what would it be about?