Eyewitness account ‘Earthquake hits Newcastle’
– Read the story below and create an ‘inspiration’ using information from the report. Who, what, when, where, why.
Click on the link above to view the BtN clip on Natural Disasters ‘Don’t Panic’. Once you have viewed the clip you will need to answer the discussion questions into your language book.
To complete our Natural Disasters Inquiry we’re going to go back to our Natural Disaster Inspiration from the beginning of term.
You task is to add all the information you have learned about Natural Disasters to your inspiration mind map. To differentiate between your previous information and your new understandings you will need to make all the new information either the same colour OR have each bubble be the same shape (this shape should be different from the shape of bubbles you’ve already done!).
Click on the link above to view the BtN story on ‘Earthquakes’. Once you have watched the story you need to answer to following questions into your language book. Questions can be answered as either question AND answer or the question IN the answer.
Remember you need to complete the task in one session.
Go to the website http://www.abc.net.au/news/emergency/plan-for-an-emergency/earthquake/ and research what to do in an emergency.
Remember to keep the messages brief as they are alerts! Important information only!
Interpreting the monitor- COMPLETE THIS ACTIVITY IN PAGES AND, ONCE COMPLETED, SAVE INTO YOUR INQUIRY FOLDER ON THE SERVER.
a.Explain the key.
b.What does magnitude mean?
c.Do you notice a pattern formed by the earthquakes? Explain
d.Why do some countries, including Australia have very few earthquakes?
e.Where is the earthquake of greatest magnitude today?
Click on the link below and watch the BTN story ‘Wild Weather’ then answer the questions below.
1. Summarise the Wild Weather story.
2. What Australian states have recently been hit with extreme weather?
3. What types of extreme weather did these parts of Australia experience?
4. What is the name of the ex-tropical cyclone that recently hit the coast of Queensland?
5. Due to flooding thousands of people in Bundaberg recently had to ___________ their homes.
6. In the BtN story, Sarah wanted to find out why we are getting all this wild weather so she visited the Bureau of:
a. Meteorology b. Archaeology c. Astronomy
7. Why would you normally see more cyclones in summer?
8. What factors can increase the severity of a bushfire?
9. How did this story make you feel?
Click on the link below and watch the BtN story. Then you need to complete the focus questions in your language book. Remember to either write the question AND the answer or the question IN the answer.